The 5S Philosophy focuses on effective work place organization and standardized work procedures. 5S simplifies the work environment, reduces waste and non-value activity while improving quality, efficiency and safety.
It takes into account the following aspects:
- Space crowded with parts and tools
- Unneeded items stacked between workers
- Excess inventory on the floor
- Excess items and machines make it difficult to improve process flow
- Equipment is dirty and a collection point for miscellaneous materials
- Needed equipment such as tools are difficult to find