ISO 14001:2015 sets out the criteria for an environmental management system and can be certified to. It does not state requirements for environmental performance, but maps out a framework that a company or organization can follow to set up an effective environmental management system. It can be used by any organization regardless of its activity or sector. Using ISO 14001:2015 can provide assurance to company management and employees as well as external stakeholders that environmental impact is being measured and improved.
The benefits of using ISO 14001:2015 can include:
- Improvement environmental performance and realization of environmental goals
- Meeting compliance obligations
- Reduction of costs related to waste management.
- Reduction in consumption of energy and materials and respective costs
- Reduction in distribution costs
- Improvement in corporate image among regulators, customers and the public